Friday, July 22, 2011

Getting prepared

Hi All,

This is my very first time for both, blogging and going on such a service learning assignment by myself. I was born and brought up in a traditional Indian Hindu family. So, I have had a very sheltered and protective upbringing. I had an arranged marriage and migrated to USA after marriage, where I experienced a very different living style and culture. In my early years, I always wanted to go back home as I felt very out of place here in USA. However, after my kids were born, I got more involved into the culture and the American society as I didn't want to raise kids who were alien to the world they were born in.

I started school and decided to get a degree in ECE field(as I found my interaction with my kids very rewarding). I already have a bachelors in accounting from India, but chose to change my career to become a teacher. I have lived in USA for almost 12 years and this is the first time I will be travelling alone, without my family and kids. I have never been away from my kids. I have never even hired a babysitter as I always took them everywhere with me. I am a homemaker and chose to do evening school, so I could be there for them.

I feel that it's time now to do something that will force me to be out of my comfort zone and look in to something farther and beyond my horizons. Even though I am nervous about the whole experience, I am ready mentally to take the challenge and experience something new. My kids are also prepared mentally and happy to have their daddy home for all 7 days. I am thankful to National Louis, Karen Roth and most of all, my husband, who has supported me on my endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment