Thursday, August 9, 2012

3 Different Trips...3 Different Experiences

Greetings from New Orleans. This has been my 3rd year volunteering with this service learning experience and I must say that each time I walk away feeling more grateful and humbled by what we do. On the first day of arrival I was greeted by our veterans as well as some new PACE students eager to get started with our week long adventure. After our yearly lunch tradition, visit to museums and shops we all met to discuss our assignment. Karen mapped out our expectations but advised the group to be prepared for anything.

As we all began our first day here in NOLA myself, Angela and Tyler ventured to Arthur Ashe school which was the school group 1 had worked the previous week. Upon our arrival I was amazed to see such a beautiful new school. This school and it's surroundings were much different than any of the previous schools we've worked in. I also got a chance to meet up with the school's principal Ms. Sivi Domango whom I had the pleasure of befriending on my first trip when she was the principal of John Dibert School. Our assignment was to finish up any small tasks they had left to do. Our trio was able to assist Mrs. Atkins in completing the set-up of her new reading resource room because she was going to be the new RTI teacher. We completed new shelving units and bagged all of necessary books. Mrs. Atkins was very appreciative and rewarded our efforts by driving us home and sharing her take on New Orleans living and teaching. We had a great day.

On day 2 we joined the group to work once again at the Harriet Tubman school leveling our infamous books. Chicago's Finest (as we were named by teacher Mr. Briggs) was in the building ready to work! Our group worked on leveling, organizing and clearing books to create a functioning library for the staff and students. As we all gazed upon our mound of books once again we rolled up our sleeves ready for the challenge.

As each day has passed our mountains of books have become small organized hills and we all feel so accomplished. I've said this in previous years and I will continue to say we do this for the students and not for us. It's our selfless acts whether big or small that makes a difference in each school that we're fortunate to work in. Round of applause volunteers of P.I.E. job well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment