Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Giving with Family

This is my fifth trip to New Orleans for service.  This trip was really one to remember.  Not only was I able to learn new personal stories about New Orleans and connect with teachers in a meaningful way, I was able to do all of this in the company of family.  My mother, grandmother and cousin joined me this year to do service.  It was great to have 3 generations of women giving back together.  I learned more about myself and tons about my family.  This trip was priceless.

In addition to the family experience, I was able to connect with two teachers in a way I never have before.  I look forward to continuing this professional connection.  We have already begun to share resources with each other!  One teacher is even trying to get me to teach in New Orleans next year.  We will see!

During this trip I was able to hear various stories about how people survived the hurricane and/or what brought them back to this special city.  New Orleans is truthfully a unique experience.  NOLA definitely gives you southern hospitality.  The people are extremely friendly and willing to share their life with you--for all the good and all the bad.

NOLA Service Trip 2012 is one that goes in the books for me.  I really look forward to our 2013 trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment