Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day Four -

I'm a little ragged this morning. We've been working diligently at Harriet Tubman School in Algiers since EARLY Monday morning -- in the heat. in the rain. in a building sorely needing love and attention. --creating a library from roomfuls of books in crates and stacks! painting ceilings and creating "permanent-record" files (you know the ones!) It's all good.
This is my second gig with the NOLA partnership; I missed last year. But I really missed last year. This experience is good for one's soul. We come to New Orleans to help rebuild a city one school at a time, but I think we really rebuild our spirits. I do. The city is magical and the work we do is so very appreciated one can't help but be enchanted. At the end of the day, at the end of the week, we know and feel, that we made a difference.
Our group of volunteers is small, diverse, strong and focussed. We work in groups of people we just met, with whom we never would have met otherwise. We form friendships with the people we meet on the streetcar.

No comments:

Post a Comment