Monday, August 22, 2011

My Home Away From Home

I have a love for New Orleans that grows each time I visit. This trip was no different.

I really enjoyed the work at Harriett Tubman. We were able to have a range of experiences there. From leveling books (which I did a lot of) to cleaning rooms and from moving desks to putting books on shelves the time was one to remember. It was amazing to hear about how the school wished to transform the space. The school had once failed the students but with a good coat of paint, lots of love and a dedicated staff, when those doors re-opened for school, they were going to re-open to success! I am glad I had a small part in that!

This trip was one of the best (if not the best) one thus far. I was able to meet some great people. We shared great stories of the trip and of our lives. Everyone had a different but unique story. I love more group (go trip 1, trip 1)!

Lastly, I learned about myself. I am always looking to be a better me and this trip helped me to do even more personal reflection. This trip always makes me think about the teacher I want to be as I enter the new school year. I know I want to be the positive teacher that makes every child (or at least most) happy to enter 206 each and every day (all 180 of them). I want to be the teacher my students remember when they have children and tell stories about what it was like to be in 5th grade. At Harriett Tubman, each of those teachers, administrators and employees wanted to be that person. I will be that teacher this year!

Thank you NOLA... I will see you again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment